Pages

Character's Journals

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Meadow Tea


August 2018 is half over. If you are like me, I enjoy a cup of ice-cold tea on a hot summer afternoon. Here is a great recipe for Meadow Tea. Enjoy
Piper
MEADOW TEA

3½ quarts water (14 cups)
2 packed cups fresh mint, whole
½ - ¾ cup sugar ***see note***

INSTRUCTIONS

This recipe makes 3½ quarts of iced tea - enough to fill an average sized "sun tea" jar.
Boil water in a large pot.
Rinse mint leaves - keep whole. I do this in a colander - inspect and rinse well - I always find lots of sticky little critters on mint.
Add mint to a pot of boiling water.
Cover pot, remove from heat and let steep for 2½ - 3 hours.
Remove whole mint leaves with a slotted spoon. Let leaves drain and dry in a colander. Leaves can be reused once for another batch of tea.
Pour tea thru a fine screen into your storage container. I use a handled screen that fits over the top of my sun tea jar and pour/ladle the tea thru. If you don't have a screen you could use a sifter or even a kitchen towel. Please use something - you don't want bits and pieces of leaves floating around.
Stir in sugar to taste. ***NOTE*** I prefer a lightly sweetened tea so I add ½ cup - ¾ cup sugar. Local Meadow Tea is made MUCH sweeter - I'd estimate they use 1 cup - 1½ cup sugar. Start with the lower amount of sugar and add in any additional sugar until you reach desired sweetness.

Refrigerate, serve cold. Enjoy : )

No comments:

Post a Comment